Transurethral Microwave Therapy (TUMT), also known as Cooled ThermoTherapy, is a non-surgical, in-office therapy that delivers targeted microwave energy to heat and reduce excess prostate tissue.
TUMT or Cooled ThermoTherapy usually results in decreased urinary urgency and is often performed in about 30 minutes. Microwave energy is delivered to the prostate through a special transurethral microwave catheter that precisely heats the enlarged prostate tissue while circulating cooling fluid in the catheter to protect the healthy urethral tissue. A urethral cooling system helps protect the urethra from the heat waves.
Advantages of Transurethral Microwave Therapy/Cooled Thermotherapy:
- In-office, minimally invasive procedure performed in less than one hour.
- Safe and effective with long-term results.
- Cooling protects the urethra and provides added patient comfort.
- Few long-term side effects.
As with any procedure, there are some risks associated with Cooled ThermoTherapy including:
- Urinary tract infection (UTI).
- Temporary pain or bleeding may occur but typically ceases within a few weeks.
- Brief inability to achieve or maintain an erection.
Talk to your urologist to see if Cooled Thermotherapy is the right treatment option for your BPH.