Laser vaporization of the prostate (utilizing GreenLight™ Laser Therapy) is a technique that uses a special laser to heat and vaporize the prostate tissue that is obstructing part of the urethra.
In studies comparing the laser technique with the more traditional surgical procedure called Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP), GreenLight Laser Therapy improves BPH symptoms and quality of life as effectively, but with fewer side effects.
Most men are good candidates for laser vaporization therapy, which is an outpatient procedure performed in one of Chesapeake Urology’s Summit Ambulatory Surgery Centers.
In this procedure, a small fiber is inserted into the urethra through a cystoscope. Laser energy is delivered through the fiber to remove the enlarged prostate tissue, restoring natural urine flow and relieving symptoms of BPH quickly.
Watch the animation below for details on how the procedure is performed:
Access the GreenLight Laser Therapy Patient Brochure HERE.
Advantages of Laser Vaporization Therapy:
- The procedure is minimally invasive and performed on an outpatient basis
- Most men return home only a few hours after the procedure
- Quick recovery and return to normal activities
- Normal urine flow is restored quickly
- Very few long-term side effects
- Long-lasting relief from bothersome urinary symptoms
Some patients may experience minimal side effects from laser vaporization:
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Temporary pain and/or bleeding may occur but typically diminishes in a few weeks
- Retrograde ejaculation - Semen released through ejaculation goes into the bladder rather than out of the penis, which can inhibit fertility