3D Ultrasound / MRI Fusion Biopsy - Revolutionizing Prostate Cancer Diagnosis
Currently, the standard diagnostic tool for detecting prostate cancer is 2D (2 Dimensional) Transrectal Ultrasound (TRUS)-guided biopsy. Now, Chesapeake Urology physicians are pioneering a new technology that combines 3D Ultrasound with MRI image fusion and organ-based tracking. This new diagnostic tool takes advantage of groundbreaking new technology which our urologists believe will revolutionize prostate cancer diagnosis. Several recent studies have confirmed that this technology can afford a higher level of accuracy of diagnosis and treatment planning for patients concerned about prostate cancer.
The 3D Ultrasound/MRI Fusion Biopsy System offers the most advanced diagnostic tools available to pinpoint exact prostate cancer location within the prostate gland and better identify the extent of disease. This new, advanced diagnostic biopsy system is truly remarkable.
The sophisticated, ground breaking technology includes:
- The PROMAP-MR - combines 3D ultrasound and MRI to produce accurate 3D mapping of biopsy samples within multimodal images
- The PROMAP-US - combines full 3D ultrasound and automatic organ tracking to create, visualize and memorize a 3D map of “target” lesions and biopsy samples
The 3D Ultrasound/ MRI Fusion Biopsy for Prostate Cancer provides urologists with unmatched visualization of the prostate gland, affording physicians the ability to pinpoint the exact location of cancer cells within the prostate.
Meet the Chesapeake Urology physicians who perform this biopsy.
What is the 3D Ultrasound/MRI Fusion Biopsy for Prostate Cancer?
Through a combination of unique organ-based tracking, state-of-the-art MRI imaging software and 3D ultrasound technology, the PROMAP-US and PROMAP-MR software:
- Creates a 3D map of the prostate
- Identifies suspicious lesions or “targets” on MRI
- “Fuses” or overlaps the 3D MRI image onto the 3D ultrasound image of the prostate
- Accurately guides the biopsy needle into the “target” lesion
- Stores a memory of the exact location of each biopsy sample
Thanks to the PROMAP-US and PROMAP-MR technology, Chesapeake Urology’s specially-trained urologists can now combine real-time, high resolution 3D ultrasound with 3D MRI images of the prostate for enhanced prostate biopsy sampling and visualization of suspected cancers.
Am I a Candidate for this New Biopsy System?
Several groups of patients can take immediate advantage of this system:
- The first group is patients who have a current diagnosis of prostate cancer and have chosen “Active Surveillance” or “Watchful Waiting” (which typically requires periodic biopsies).
- The second group who could be helped by this new 3D Ultrasound/MRI fusion biopsy system is patients who have a persistently rising PSA level despite having a previous 2D TRUS and prostate needle biopsy which was negative for cancer.
- A third group of patients are those who are found on 2D TRUS and biopsy to have atypical cells (cells that are abnormal but cannot be confirmed as cancer). Additionally, patients with a newly identified Elevated PSA could take advantage of this system in order to potentially increase the chance of finding a clinically significant, higher grade prostate cancer.